Spring Moss Wreath

spring moss wreath

You didn’t actually think I was done making and posting wreaths, did you? Of course you didn’t! Truth be told, I’ve had our winter wreath out for months now. I figured I could get a couple of months out of it, maybe even have it up all the way through March but El Paso had a different idea. It’s been so warm here lately, up in the mid-70s, even in the 80s so my beautiful snowflaked wreath felt… wrong. So one day, as he was leaving for work, Lance took it down and said “Um, yeah it’s in the 80s”. And I thought, crap! I need a new wreath. Aaaand then my door sat naked for a week or two while I tried to decide what to do – there’s so many choices for a beautiful spring wreath! I might even make two but for now, we’re rocking a spring moss wreath!

The first thing to know is that no, I didn’t glue every single little moss piece onto that wreath. Thankfully, moss comes in sheets! Except, the one I bought (at Walmart, no less – should’ve known better and bought the one at Michael’s!) was weird… it came in what I can only describe as patches. So, what I did was glue those patches onto my wreath. This time around, I used a straw wreath since those tend to be a little thicker than the foam wreaths AND cheaper, so bonus!

spring moss wreath - moss 'patches'

spring moss wreath

I left the back of the wreath uncovered until the end, and then I glued some felt pieces so it won’t scratch the door when it gets windy – and boy does it get windy here in El Paso! Also, when I was done I sprayed it with some Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Coating. This serves two purposes, stop all those little pieces of moss from falling off and protecting it from fading in the sun. Then, I glued some butterflies I got at Michael’s and added some burlap ribbon for hanging, and bam! it was done!

spring moss wreath

spring moss wreath

Lance says I should’ve gone with different colored butterflies but I like it this way. It might be because I miss seeing the color green – there’s no grass and no tress here in El Paso so I’m adding green in just about any way I can in my life!

You might also enjoy

HOW TO: Felt Flowers, Step-by-Step
Winter Wreath
Christmas Ornament Wreath
Fall Wreath
Halloween Ghost Wreath
Other crafts!

Comments

1. says

I’m in Virginia and I miss green something awful! Plus it’s one of my favorite colors. I tried finding wreath supplies last night but struck out. Maybe I’ll try again this weekend!

2. Natalie says

I love this wreath and all your other ones too! The moss and the butterflies remind me of something out of Alice in Wonderland. It seems magical. he :) I might have to recreate something like this to bring the warmer weather to Illinois where it’s still freezing!

3. says

I’m always looking for new ideas since I change my door-scape seasonally, and last spring my wreath attracted a bird who made a nest and some baby birds hatched a month later! :) So this year, I want something more simple… I think this is it! Thanks so much for sharing! Just stopped in from the SITS “Saturday Sharefest!”

4. says

This is absolutely adorable, and so perfect for spring! But let’s face it, I’d never find the time to be so crafty… maybe I can buy something similar. :-)

5. says

Very cute! I like the look of the green butterflies on the green moss! And that’s a great tip about sealing in the moss with the clear coating! Thanks for linking up with How To Tuesday :-)

6. says

Fran, I may or may not have just spent a good 20 minutes clicking through all your different wreaths you’ve made! I LOVE THEM! AH you’ve so inspired me to go make one! Just have to figure out what kind I want to make first ;) I am obsessing over this moss one though!! How creative!! Thank you so much for linking up with us!
    xx Caitlin