The time my mom met Snoop Dogg / Lion

snoop dogg

Source: Flickr / Credit: www.focka.com.br | Eduardo Gabriel

It’s Tuesday and Tuesday are not as bad as Mondays but still can suck something major, right? You expect Mondays to suck but Tuesdays? No, so they sneak up on you with their suckiness. But no worries, I’ve got your back and today I’m here to share a funny story with you. A story of how silly my mama is. I think it’s hilarious, hopefully you do too. Last week I was texting with some friends and one of the brought up the story of my mom meeting the “snoop man” as she calls him, or Snoop Lion as he now calls himself but back on those days he was known as Snoop Dogg.

Back in the day (2007-2010) my mom worked at Denny’s as a second job to help support me and support herself as she kept getting laid off from her full-time job. The Denny’s in our town in Michigan is right next to the highway so it’s pretty common for buses traveling between Detroit and Chicago to stop by, so when a bunch of buses stopped by late that night nobody even blinked an eye.

Until people starting coming out of the buses and all the servers (which at this point of the night were just about the only people in the restaurant) started freaking out.

Snoop Dogg was in the house.

At this point the managers took over and confined everyone to their sections and the cooks to the kitchen. It so happened that one of the cooks, Richie, was a HUGE fan of Snoop Dogg so obviously he wanted, at the very least, an autograph. But he was confined to the kitchen, so my mom was all “don’t worry, I figure something out”.

So… MY MOTHER, grabs a napkin, walks right up to the table and SAYS TO SNOOP DOGG: “Hi there sir, I don’t have the slightest idea who you are but one of the cooks says he loves your music – you make music? – well, he really wants your autograph, so can you sign this for him?”

Snoop Dogg just gave her a “you’re for real right now?” look and realized that yes, my mom was for real – she really didn’t know who he was so he just sort laughed and asked who it was for and signed the napkin. And still gave my mom and every server in the place a $20 tip.

The next morning when she told me, my reaction was something along the lines of “YOU SAID THAT SNOOP DOGG?! HOW do you NOT know who he is?! Did you get me an autograph?” No, no she didn’t. But she did Google him and realized who she had been talking to. Well… Sort of. She still calls him the Snoop Man. In her defense he did change his name, so there’s that haha.

Comments

1. says

That’s awesome. And so cute that your Mom had no idea who he was… although I’m sure my mom wouldn’t know either lol.

2. says

In two of amerikaz most wanted he raps “I got a house out in the hills right next to Chino”.. Chino is where Mike’s from and I’m from Chino Hills. Chino has a huge prison, anyway, in high school me and my girlfriends used to rap that song like no ones business cause of that part. Even though he lives in Diamond Bar which is the town next to Chino Hills. haha
    He taught junior all american football for Chino Hills then offered to pay for our High School’s stadium while I was still in school. The district turned him down because he’s gang and drug related. He wanted to name it the Dogg Pound because we are the Bulldogs. The school kept that name but not his money.

Your mom is hilarious! Can’t believe she just walked up to him. haha

• says

Haha it’s like my friends and I whenever there was mention of Michigan in any song we would always sing the crap out of it.

I know! I probably would’ve been too shy to go up to him and his group of people haha

3. says

LOL!!!!!
    I actually read this last night before I went to sleep. Thank you for one of the strangest dreams I’ve ever had. I dreamed that Snoop babysat my kids. He did such a good job I decided to have a baby with him…WEIRD!!!! LOL.

4. says

Oh my gosh this is the best story ever… and seriously am I the last person on the planet to find out that he changed his name to Snoop Lion?! When the heck did that happen??

• says

Oh gosh, it happened like 1.5 year ago? I only know because one of my friends told me because they knew this story lol

5. says

This is hilarious but totally something I would do. When I was a server famous people would come in and I had no clue who they were. The hostesses would come to me freaking out about so and so being in my section.